Friday, February 24, 2012

Car Shopping, Part 3

An Answer to the Car Question
"So it's funny actually."
Vishal 

Previous parts:

Part 1
Part 2

After having gone to yet another dealer, I realized that the Elantra'06 (described here) is a good deal. I wanted to test it -- and asked the salesman to take it to a 3rd party repair shop for an inspection. Handshaking people over the phone can be quite a pain, but it was worth the information: for mere $25 I learned that a weak battery and almost worn-out rear brake pads are the only major issues with the car. 

I wanted to go to the dealership right away until someone else gets the car, drop another $500 off the price (motivating it with repairs), and purchase it. What I found out was surprising. 

It turned out that when I had paid the first visit to Kenny Ross Toyota, the dealer confused cars I looked at and gave me a discounted price for Accent'05, which costs $1100 less than Elantra'06. So, I got a huge $1900 mark-off right away (back then I was kinda surprised, but explained it with depreciation and non-updated website price). This is almost 30% of the value removed by the dealer himself at our first talk. 

The whole situation was weird, but it was their fault anyway. So they honored the order, but made it quite clear that no more price cuts are appropriate. Anyway, that was more than enough for me -- and I proceeded with the deal, leaving a $100 deposit and signing a buying agreement. Oh, what a relief it was!

Now, what happens is hunting auto insurance agents and getting a certified check from a bank. After that, I can just grab this car and drive to the sunset.

Meanwhile, a couple of photos taken in a rush:

This color is magnetic.

The reflection of the sky looks realistic. That's why it's "sky blue".



Can see some rust in the tire.


P.S. This time, my regards go to Moses for driving and helping with car information.

No comments:

Post a Comment