Friday, March 25, 2011

Developing in Eclipse

I recently started using Eclipse (used to work with MS Visual Studio, NetBeans, and command line before), and I already hate two things in Eclipse:

1. The popping up on every update console, which can't be tamed. I think I saw an option 'open only on errors', but I don't see it now. Besides, even if I can keep it opening only on errors, it is very annoying anyway. And don't tell me to open it manually on every build!

2. The apply patch interface. It's terrible! It doesn't [almost] mark which lines are new and which are not, it has very awkward scrolling and no obvious way to say 'yes, I've merged this file' other than going to another file and saying 'yes' in a modal dialog.

How and why does a popular IDE have so obvious UI bugs for such a long time?

P.S. Debugging KDevelop in Eclipse is very weird. But I guess this is true about any IDE.

No comments:

Post a Comment