Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Running Perspective: Pittsburgh vs Moscow in Winter


Winter in Pittsburgh turns out to be not much of my understanding of winter - it's around 5-10 °C during daytime now. And it's an enormous advantage in terms of outdoor running: there's no dirt on streets.

Other pluses running-wise are that:
  • Not many people walk on sidewalks; they prefer cars, mostly.
  • Sidewalks are free of dogs' dung (one can get jailed for not cleaning after a pet. So even the richest men care about it - or, alternatively, hire other people to care about it).
And in general, it's like spring right now in 'Burgh. Check out the pictures:

A hard-to-believe looks of Gates-Hillman Center in January.
A flowerbed and a clean sidewalk.

A forest.

This is what Pittsburgh has to offer

And what is Moscow good for? A bunch of snow that turns into mess at around 0 °C.

Snow.
Snow!
More snow.
Even more snow!
 
The difference is obvious: in Moscow, I could barely make myself run about an hour; in Pgh, I did 100 mins on my first physically consistent day (i.e. the day when I got through a terrible jetlag caused by my troubles in JFK). No surprise people do that a lot in Russia.

No comments:

Post a Comment